Herman Cain faces sexual harassment claims. How much trouble is he in?
Allegations that Herman Cain acted inappropriately toward two female employees in the 1990s are just emerging, and the details could be key. But the allegations will test the Cain campaign.
Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain arrives to speak at the American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research (AEI) in Washington, Monday. He refused to answer questions about allegations of sexual harassment at the event.
Pablo Martinez Monsivais/AP
Herman Cain has risen from the lower tier of Republican presidential candidates to front-runner in a heartbeat of political time. The growth and intensity of his support has been a true American phenomenon. But now his position is at risk, as his campaign faces a crisis: a Politico report that Cain was accused of sexually suggestive behavior toward at least two female employees when he was head of the National Restaurant Association in the 1990s.
Skip to next paragraphRecent posts
-
12.29.11
As Iowa's Kent Sorenson jumps to Ron Paul ship, rat analogies abound -
12.27.11
Could Romney 'train' be derailed by Gingrich? Perry? Someone new? -
12.26.11
Virginia primary: Was it so hard for Perry and Gingrich to get on the ballot? -
12.26.11
Donald Trump as third-party candidate: Will he woo Americans Elect? -
12.22.11
Ron Paul: why racist newsletter flap could hurt him in Iowa
Subscribe Today to the Monitor
The two women complained that Mr. Cain had subjected them to language and behavior they found uncomfortable, according to Politico. They received financial settlements in the range of five figures each and left the restaurant trade group, the article adds.
“Politico has confirmed the identities of the two female restaurant association employees who complained about Cain but, for privacy concerns, is not publishing their names,” said the story, which was written by multiple political reporters.
How much trouble is Cain in? Quite a bit, at the moment – though that could change, depending on where this story goes in the days to come.
First off, the Cain campaign’s handling of the story has not been adroit. Spokesman J.D. Gordon has blasted it, without denying its facts.
“Fearing the message of Herman Cain, who is shaking up the political landscape in Washington, inside-the-Beltway media have begun to launch unsubstantiated personal attacks on Cain,” said Mr. Gordon.
Gordon has also said that Cain had told campaign officials that he was “vaguely familiar” with these charges, however.
Confronted directly on a Washington sidewalk, Cain himself ignored a question about the allegations, and asked a reporter whether he’d ever been accused of sexual harassment himself.
Yet the Politico piece is lengthy and detailed as to whether these harassment allegations occurred. Cain will have to deal with them directly at some point – in person, and probably at length. On Monday, Cain did say on Fox News that in the past he had been “falsely accused” of sexual harassment.
Second, Cain has few political allies to help fight through this mess.
His staff is undersized by national campaign standards. He hasn’t received many endorsements from establishment figures – something many of his supporters consider a badge of honor. He just doesn’t have many surrogates who will flood onto cable news chat shows to stand up for him.





These comments are not screened before publication. Constructive debate about the above story is welcome, but personal attacks are not. Please do not post comments that are commercial in nature or that violate any copyright[s]. Comments that we regard as obscene, defamatory, or intended to incite violence will be removed. If you find a comment offensive, you may flag it.