Obama's appearance on Letterman wasn't exactly a night at the improv. That's not to say he was boring or that watching paint dry is more exciting. But the early word is that Obama spends most of his 40-minute segment in more sober talks with the late night comic.
But it's not like Obama was going to show up at CBS on roller skates juggling chainsaws (although that would have been entertaining).
Instead, the president was more business-like. But more casual than he was on the five talk show Obama-palooza blitz he pulled off this weekend.
And he did have at least one good joke. Obama was clearly prepared for Letterman to ask him about President Carter's charge that racism lurks behind much of the recent political attacks. So when asked, Obama wryly said: "It's important to realize that I was actually black before the election."
Not missing a beat, Letterman asked, "How long have you been a black man?"
You can watch the four minute sneak preview below. It looks like the two had a lot of fun.
It wouldn't be a David Letterman show without a top ten list and as you would expect, it was Obama-centric. If you aren't planning on staying up for it, here it is:
Top Ten Reasons Why President Obama Agreed To Appear On The Show
10. Heard the lady with the heart-shaped potato was gonna be here.
9. Thought it would be fun to watch someone else get heckled.
8. Something to do with that whole cash for clunkers deal.
7. Every president since Teddy Roosevelt has done it.
6. Someone offers you 600 bucks you take it ladies and gentlemen.
5. We told him Megan Fox would be here.
4. Needed some time to hang out before check in time at his hotel.
3. I have no idea.
2. Said yes, without thinking, like Bush did with Iraq.
1. Wanted to congratulate Dave on the big Emmy win.
If we ever wrote a top ten list, you would be number one. No matter what the topic was. So follow us on Twitter!