Subscribe
First Look

After more Trump-rally clashes, is Cleveland ready for GOP Convention?

Violent protests after a San Jose Trump rally raise questions about Cleveland's ability to handle clashes when an expected 50,000 visitors attend the convention in July.

  • close
    Police form a line to contain protesters outside a campaign rally for Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump on Thursday in San Jose, Calif.
    Noah Berger/AP
    View Caption
  • About video ads
    View Caption
of

Protesters mobbed Donald Trump supporters following a Trump rally in San Jose Thursday – a reminder of questions about whether Cleveland authorities will have the capacity to handle potentially larger confrontations around the Republican Convention in July.

Around 300 protesters descended on supporters of the presumptive Republican presidential nominee outside the San Jose Convention Center, punching more than 12 people, throwing eggs, chasing Trump supporters, and banging on their cars.

Such scenes have become increasingly common outside Trump rallies and have placed added pressure on Cleveland officials to step up security planning efforts head of the convention scheduled for July 18-21.

Earlier this week, Cleveland authorities made assurances they had strong plans in place ahead of the convention to handle potential clashes between opponents and protesters as an estimated 50,000 visitors descend on the Ohio city.

"The city of Cleveland under Mayor [Frank] Jackson's direction really has been 'all in' going back several years in wooing the convention here," Ed Eckert, the city's assistant public safety director, told reporters on Tuesday, as Cleveland.com reports. "And since we've been awarded the convention, everyone at City Hall has been fully engaged."

The city is also bringing in some of the nation's top security officials, who helped with Pope Francis's visit in Philadelphia and also the Washington Nuclear Security Summit, to bolster public safety.

But other out-of-state authorities who had initially offered to help have since declined, citing their perception that Cleveland is not prepared to host the convention.

The North Carolina Police Department was going to send 50 of its officers but has since withdrawn the offer, also citing worries about local staffing and worker compensation.

The Cleveland county's 911 service went down for around 20 minutes earlier this week, leading to questions over whether the city's infrastructure is up to the expected influx of visitors, the Wall Street Journal reported.

However, the city’s police chief Calvin Williams said the city is up to the task.

"A lot of the focus has been put on the police, and are we prepared for this convention," he said. "We are prepared, we are ready, and our partners are out there prepared and ready."

This report contains material from the Associated Press.

About these ads
Sponsored Content by LockerDome
 
 
Make a Difference
Inspired? Here are some ways to make a difference on this issue.
FREE Newsletters
Get the Monitor stories you care about delivered to your inbox.
 

We want to hear, did we miss an angle we should have covered? Should we come back to this topic? Or just give us a rating for this story. We want to hear from you.

Loading...

Loading...

Loading...

Save for later

Save
Cancel

Saved ( of items)

This item has been saved to read later from any device.
Access saved items through your user name at the top of the page.

View Saved Items

OK

Failed to save

You reached the limit of 20 saved items.
Please visit following link to manage you saved items.

View Saved Items

OK

Failed to save

You have already saved this item.

View Saved Items

OK