Subscribe

Appeals court to hear Boston Marathon bombing change of venue arguments

Defense attorneys for accused Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev contend too many people in the Boston area had a direct connection to the event to empanel an impartial jury.

  • close
    A courtroom sketch shows Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev (c.) during the jury selection process in his trial at the federal courthouse in Boston, Massachusetts January 15, 2015.
    Jane Flavell Collins/REUTERS
    View Caption
  • About video ads
    View Caption
of

A US appeals court on Thursday said it would hear arguments on whether to move the trial of the Boston Marathon bombing suspect out of the city that was the site of the largest mass-casualty attack on US soil since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

The appeals court's decision to hear arguments on Feb. 19 comes after a district court judge three times rejected pleas by defendant Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's attorneys to move the trial.

Defense attorneys contend too many people in the Boston area had a direct connection to the event to empanel an impartial jury.

Three people were killed and 264 injured when two homemade bombs went off at the race's crowded finish line on April 15, 2013. Tsarnaev and his older brother, Tamerlan, are also charged with shooting dead a university police officer three days later.

Tamerlan died that night, following a gunbattle with police.

Jury selection for the trial is now in its sixth week, with the court working its way through more than 150 people culled from a panel of 1,350 who filled out questionnaires early last month.

Adding to the challenge of seating a jury is the fact that Tsarnaev, 21, faces the possibility of execution if he is convicted of federal charges. Many potential jurors called for questioning have said they would have difficulty voting to impose the death penalty or would be unwilling to do so.

Tens of thousands were crowded around the race's finish line when the bombs went off and hundreds of thousands were ordered to remain in their homes during the manhunt for Tsarnaev.

On Wednesday, a potential juror reported being awakened by gunshots the night of the manhunt. Others have reported that their spouses tended to the wounded.

The appeals court ruled that jury selection could continue ahead of the hearing, where defense attorneys and prosecutors will each have 20 minutes to make their arguments.

The appeals court warned attorneys not to disclose the contents of juror questionnaires during their arguments.

Appellate Judge Juan Torruella questioned that order: "It will be quite an interesting hearing since the parties will be forbidden from discussing the details of facts directly at the heart of the issue presented: Whether the answer given during the jury selection process have demonstrated that the jury pool is so tainted and prejudiced that it is impossible for the defendant to receive a fair trial."

About these ads
Sponsored Content by LockerDome
 
 
Make a Difference
Inspired? Here are some ways to make a difference on this issue.
FREE Newsletters
Get the Monitor stories you care about delivered to your inbox.
 

We want to hear, did we miss an angle we should have covered? Should we come back to this topic? Or just give us a rating for this story. We want to hear from you.

Loading...

Loading...

Loading...

Save for later

Save
Cancel

Saved ( of items)

This item has been saved to read later from any device.
Access saved items through your user name at the top of the page.

View Saved Items

OK

Failed to save

You reached the limit of 20 saved items.
Please visit following link to manage you saved items.

View Saved Items

OK

Failed to save

You have already saved this item.

View Saved Items

OK