Skip to: Content
Skip to: Site Navigation
Skip to: Search

New York drivers spent fearful, chilly night stranded in snow

Hundreds of drivers in New York and Connecticut spent Friday night stranded on snowy highways. The Long Island Expressway was especially bad, with many drivers waiting 12 hours to be dug out.

(Page 3 of 3)

At 1 p.m. Saturday, Jingo was still waiting.

Skip to next paragraph

"I would have been fine if I didn't have to swerve," he said.

In Middle Island, a Wal-Mart remained unofficially open long past midnight to accommodate more than two dozen motorists who were stranded on nearby roads.

"We're here to mind the store, but we can't let people freeze out there," manager Jerry Greek told Newsday.

Officials weren't aware of any deaths among the stranded drivers, Cuomo said. Suffolk County police said no serious injuries had been reported among stuck motorists, but officers were still systematically checking stranded vehicles late Saturday afternoon.

Even cars that weren't stuck found the going on the expressway agonizingly slow — especially for a 21-year-old mother-to-be who was trying to get to a hospital to deliver her baby Saturday morning. Her own mom was driving her, as the infant's father was snowbound elsewhere.

Suffolk County Police Officer Kevin Wustenhoff went to help and decided to drive the woman 15 miles to the hospital in his police SUV, rather than waiting for an ambulance.

As a father of three, "I was able to just kind of walk her through it — breathing and just keeping her calm," he recalled later.

Delivery appeared imminent when they arrived, but the baby hadn't yet been born when Wustenhoff checked in late Saturday night.

While the expressway eventually opened Saturday, about 30 miles of the highway was to be closed again Sunday for snow removal.

Susan Cassara left her job at a Middle Island day care center around 6:30 p.m. Friday, after driving some of the children home because their parents couldn't get there to pick them up.

She got stuck on one road until about 2:30 a.m. Then a plow helped her get out — but she got stuck again, she said. Finally, an Army National Guardsman got to her on a snowmobile after 4 a.m.

"It was so cool. Strapped on, held on and came all the way here" to the makeshift shelter at the Brookhaven Town Hall, she said. "Something for my bucket list."

Associated Press writers Mary Esch in Albany, N.Y.; Michael Melia in Hartford, Conn., and Jennifer Peltz and AP radio correspondent Julie Walker in New York contributed to this report.

  • Weekly review of global news and ideas
  • Balanced, insightful and trustworthy
  • Subscribe in print or digital

Special Offer