Skip to: Content
Skip to: Site Navigation
Skip to: Search

  • Advertisements

Hillary Clinton released from hospital

The Secretary of State's physicians expect she will recover fully from a blood clot. Hillary Clinton left the hospital on Wednesday, after several days of treatment in New York. 

By Staff, Reuters / January 2, 2013

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton listens to a reporter ask a question during a news conference in this November file photo. Clinton left the hospital on Wednesday after being treated for a blood clot.

AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta, File

Enlarge

WASHINGTON

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was discharged from a New York hospital on Wednesday after being treated for a blood clot near her brain and her doctors expect her to make a full recovery, the State Department said.

Skip to next paragraph

Clinton, who has not been seen in public since Dec. 7, was at New York-Presbyterian Hospital under treatment for a blood clot behind her right ear that stemmed from a concussion she suffered in mid-December, the department said on Sunday.

"Secretary Clinton was discharged from the hospital this evening. Her medical team advised her that she is making good progress on all fronts, and they are confident she will make a full recovery," Philippe Reines, a deputy assistant secretary of state, said in a statement.

Reines said Clinton was "eager to get back to the office."

Earlier, State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland told reporters at her daily briefing Clinton had been talking with her staff by telephone and receiving memos.

Clinton also spoke to two foreign officials - the U.N. envoy on Syria and the prime minister of Qatar - on Saturday, the day before the State Department disclosed the blood clot and her stay at the hospital.

In a statement released by the State Department on Monday, Clinton's doctors said she was being treated with blood thinners and would be released from the hospital once the correct dosage had been determined.

  • Weekly review of global news and ideas
  • Balanced, insightful and trustworthy
  • Subscribe in print or digital

Special Offer

 

Doing Good

 

What happens when ordinary people decide to pay it forward? Extraordinary change...

Estela de Carlotto has spent nearly 34 years searching for her own missing grandson.

Estela de Carlotto hunts for Argentina's grandchildren 'stolen' decades ago

Estela de Carlotto heads the Grandmothers of Plaza de Mayo, who seek to reunite children taken from their mothers during Argentina's military dictatorship with their real families.

 
 
Become a fan! Follow us! Google+ YouTube See our feeds!