Skip to: Content
Skip to: Site Navigation
Skip to: Search

  • Advertisements

Ohio bridge bombing plot suspect Anthony Hayne pleads guilty

Anthony Hayne pleaded to all three counts against him in US District Court. His attorney, Michael O'Shea, said Hayne hopes to get leniency in return for his testimony.

By Associated Press / July 25, 2012

This undated file photo provided by the FBI shows Anthony Hayne, one of five men charged with plotting to bomb a highway bridge in Ohio pleaded guilty in federal court in Akron, Ohio, on July 25, and will testify against his co-defendants.

FBI/AP/File

Enlarge

0

AKRON, Ohio

One of five men charged with plotting to bomb an Ohio highway bridge made a surprise guilty plea Wednesday and agreed to testify against his co-defendants.

Skip to next paragraph

Anthony Hayne, 35, pleaded to all three counts against him in US District Court. His attorney, Michael O'Shea, said Hayne hopes to get leniency in return for his testimony.

Authorities have called the men anarchists. Investigators say the group planted what turned out to be a fake bomb provided by an FBI undercover informant on a bridge south of Cleveland and repeatedly tried to detonate it using text messages from cellphones.'

Could you pass a US citizenship test?

The defendants could face life in prison if convicted.

Under the terms of the plea deal, Hayne will have the chance to avoid a life prison term. He could face 15 years to nearly 20 years in prison.

"I don't think any of these guys intended harm to human beings," O'Shea said. "I think they just thought this was a way of making some sort of political statement. But I'm relatively confident none of these people had any desires to actually hurt anybody."

O'Shea said Hayne was a latecomer to the alleged plot and had the least standing to argue that he had been manipulated by an FBI informant.

The five had been associated with the Occupy Cleveland movement, part of a national demonstration last year against economic inequality, but organizers of the movement have tried to distance the group from the men. They say the five didn't represent it or its nonviolent philosophy.

Read Comments

View reader comments | Comment on this story

  • Weekly review of global news and ideas
  • Balanced, insightful and trustworthy
  • Subscribe in print or digital

Special Offer

 

Doing Good

 

What happens when ordinary people decide to pay it forward? Extraordinary change...

Estela de Carlotto has spent nearly 34 years searching for her own missing grandson.

Estela de Carlotto hunts for Argentina's grandchildren 'stolen' decades ago

Estela de Carlotto heads the Grandmothers of Plaza de Mayo, who seek to reunite children taken from their mothers during Argentina's military dictatorship with their real families.

 
 
Become a fan! Follow us! Google+ YouTube See our feeds!