Skip to: Content
Skip to: Site Navigation
Skip to: Search


Minnesota Nazi: How did Nazi hunters miss Michael Karkoc? (+video)

Minnesota Nazi: US, German, and Polish authorities are now taking a look at 94-year-old Michael Karkoc’s reputed past as a Nazi commander. ‘Nazi hunters’ have had major successes and notable failures in finding and deporting Nazis.

(Page 2 of 2)



Yet a report issued by the Justice Department in 2010 hints at how Nazis may have remained under the radar. At one point, as many as 10,000 were believed to be living in the US, some under CIA cover, according to the government report “Striving for Accountability in the Aftermath of the Holocaust.”

Skip to next paragraph

“There is enormous difficultly in marshaling the evidence for these prosecutions, many subjects died before investigation was complete, the cases take years to litigate to completion, and the office is small,” the report stated. “‘Nazi hunting’ so many years after the war is dramatic, tedious and difficult.”

The office also made its share of mistakes, including bungling its case against John Demjanjuk, a retired US autoworker who was falsely identified as "Ivan the Terrible," a notably cruel Treblinka guard whose duties included operating the motors that powered gas chambers.

Mr. Demjanjuk was later convicted in Germany in 2011 for contributing to the death of thousands of Jews during World War II.

In Minneapolis, Karkoc settled into an area heavy with refugee Slavs, whose small communities center around Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches.

"I know him personally. We talk, laugh. He takes care of his yard and walks with his wife," his next-door neighbor, Gordon Gnasdoskey, told CBS News Friday.

So far, there’s no proof that Karkoc had a personal hand in the atrocities in Poland, but there is evidence he lied to US authorities when he emigrated. According to documents, Karkoc was a founding member of the Ukrainian Self Defense Legion and an officer with the SS Galician Division. The US had blacklisted all members of those organizations, banning them from entering the US after the war.

In Poland, some of the legion’s victims at least want an apology from Karkoc.

"There was so much suffering, so many orphans, so much pain," according to Honorata Banach, who as a child fled the village of Chlaniow ahead of the legion’s advance. When she and her mother returned, “everything was burned down, even the fences, the trees. I could not even find my house,” she told The Associated Press.

The Justice Department said Friday that it’s looking into the AP’s revelations about Karkoc.

"While we do not confirm or deny the existence of specific investigations, I can say as a general matter that the Department of Justice continues to pursue all credible allegations of participation in World War II Nazi crimes by US citizens and residents," DOJ spokesman Michael Passman said, according to CBS News.

Karkoc's son, Andrij Karkoc, called the AP story "sensationalist" in a statement late Friday, and said there's no evidence his father had any hand in war crimes. 

“That’s the God’s honest truth,” he said. “My father was never a Nazi.”

Permissions

Read Comments

View reader comments | Comment on this story

  • Weekly review of global news and ideas
  • Balanced, insightful and trustworthy
  • Subscribe in print or digital

Special Offer

 

Editors' picks

Doing Good

 

What happens when ordinary people decide to pay it forward? Extraordinary change...

Danny Bent poses at the starting line of the Boston Marathon in Hopkinton, Mass.

After the Boston Marathon bombings, Danny Bent took on a cross-country challenge

The athlete-adventurer co-founded a relay run called One Run for Boston that started in Los Angeles and ended at the marathon finish line to raise funds for victims.

 
 
Become a fan! Follow us! Google+ YouTube See our feeds!