Misrata emerges as deadly test of NATO clout in Libya
The NATO-led coalition taking on Muammar Qaddafi's forces in Libya are trying to show they can be effective without the US in a leading role. But so far, they've been able to do little to stop the humanitarian crisis in rebel-held Misrata.
Subscribe Today to the Monitor
The only city in western Libya under rebel control is under siege from the forces of Muammar Qaddafi. And the international coalition’s NATO-led campaign tasked with protecting Libyan civilians has failed to stop Colonel Qaddafi’s rockets, mortars, and sniper fire.
One reason explaining NATO’s lack of impact on Qaddafi’s siege is that the international coalition does not have the kind of precision air power that could take out mobile weapons like tanks and rocket launchers, some military experts say. The US does have the kind of ground-attack fighters that could be more effective – the AC-130 and A-10 Warthog – but those have been pulled from the coalition arsenal as the Obama administration has opted to pull back to a support role.
Reporting from Misrata, the group Human Rights Watch said Monday that indiscriminate rocket and mortar attacks on residential neighborhoods were partly responsible for more than 265 deaths recorded by hospital morgues since April 15. Hospital officials claim that more than 1,000 people – mostly civilians – have been killed since fighting began in early March, although the figures are almost impossible to confirm.
One attack by a Soviet-era Grad rocket killed at least eight people waiting in line for bread, according to the New York-based Human Rights Watch.
NATO said in a statement Monday that it flew 60 missions on Sunday to attempt to identify ground targets in Libya, and it also reported taking out four air-defense radar installations in Misrata. Despite that, rebel commanders in Misrata have told the few foreign journalists there that they have repeatedly communicated the coordinates of Qaddafi’s forces to the NATO mission but have seen no response.