Subscribe

Boston marks somber second anniversary of marathon bombings (+video)

Boston marked on the second anniversary of the deadly attack with a quiet ceremony at the site where three died, unveiling a pair of banners, and observed a moment of silence Wednesday afternoon.

Boston marked the second anniversary of the deadly attack on its annual marathon on Wednesday with a quiet ceremony at the site where three died, unveiling a pair of banners marked with a heart.

Mayor Marty Walsh joined a group of survivors of the April 15, 2013, blasts, including Jane and Henry Richard, whose 8-year-old brother Martin was the youngest killed, as well as Jeff Bauman, who lost both legs. Some 264 people, including spectators, volunteers, and runners at the Boston Marathon were injured.

At 2:49 p.m. ET (1849 GMT) New England's largest city will observe a moment of silence to mark the time the first bomb went off.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families, who seek to make sense of that awful day," said Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker. "Those most affected by the events of two years ago have shown us all the way back with their courage, grace and determination."

The anniversary comes amid a break in the trial of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who was convicted last week of carrying out the bombing attack, before the same jury that found him guilty decides whether to sentence him to death or life in prison.

Tsarnaev, 21, was the younger of two brothers who carried out the attack and three days later shot dead a police officer as they prepared to flee the city. His older brother, 26-year-old Tamerlan, died following a gunfight with police after that shooting.

Three people died in the bombing attack: 8-year-old Martin Richard; Chinese exchange student Lingzi Lu, 23; and restaurant manager Krystle Campbell, 29. Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer Sean Collier, 26, was shot dead three days later.

Collier's sister this week said on social media she did not believe Tsarnaev, an ethnic Chechen who left a note suggesting the attack was an act of retribution for U.S. military campaigns in Muslim-dominated countries, deserved to die.

"Whenever someone speaks out against the death penalty, they are challenged to imagine how they would feel if someone they love were killed. I've been given that horrible perspective," Collier's sister, Jennifer Lemmerman, wrote on Facebook.

Other voices have been less forgiving, among them local CBS commentator Jon Keller, who had first argued against pursuing the death penalty.

"I changed my mind, and in the wake of the verdict I'm not hearing anything to change it again," Keller wrote earlier this month.

(Editing by Eric Walsh and Lisa Lambert)

About these ads
Sponsored Content by LockerDome
 
 
Make a Difference
Inspired? Here are some ways to make a difference on this issue.
FREE Newsletters
Get the Monitor stories you care about delivered to your inbox.
 

We want to hear, did we miss an angle we should have covered? Should we come back to this topic? Or just give us a rating for this story. We want to hear from you.

Loading...

Loading...

Loading...

Save for later

Save
Cancel

Saved ( of items)

This item has been saved to read later from any device.
Access saved items through your user name at the top of the page.

View Saved Items

OK

Failed to save

You reached the limit of 20 saved items.
Please visit following link to manage you saved items.

View Saved Items

OK

Failed to save

You have already saved this item.

View Saved Items

OK