Los Angeles collects most guns ever, in post-Newtown buyback event
Police collected more than 2,000 firearms Wednesday in Los Angeles, during a gun buyback event held less than two weeks after the mass shootings in Newtown, Conn. Do such city initiatives help reduce gun violence?
A police officer tosses a modified gun into a trash bin at a gun buyback held by the Los Angeles Police Department on December 26, following the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut.
David McNew/Reuters
The city of Los Angeles, one of several municipalities to hold a gun buyback event since the Dec. 14 mass shooting in Newton, Conn., collected more than 2,000 firearms – a record, police officials reported Thursday.
Skip to next paragraphLos Angeles had moved up the date of its no-questions-asked gun turn-in with the hope that the Newtown tragedy would prompt residents to surrender some firearms, thereby reducing the number of guns in circulation. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said the city would gave $100 to $200 gift cards in exchange for each gun recovered.
At a press conference Thursday, police officials said they collected 2,037 firearms, surpassing the 1,673 guns collected last year.
Los Angeles is the largest city to host a gun buyback day since the Newtown shootings, which killed 20 schoolchildren, six school faculty and staff, and the gunman's mother. Smaller cities have made similar calls for guns, including Evanston, Ill., a suburb of Chicago, which collected 45 firearms, mostly handguns, in exchange for cash. Last Saturday outside Miami in Opa-Locka, Fla., 100 firearms were collected, almost double the total collected in a similar buyback event in June.
A buyback event is planned Saturday in Bridgeport, Conn. – about 30 miles from Newtown – and city officials say repeat dates are scheduled every Saturday in January.
Forty-one members of the US House of Representatives, all Democrats, are calling for a federal gun buyback program. The letter to House Speaker John Boehner (R) and majority leader Nancy Pelosi (D), co-written by US Reps. Gerald Connolly of Virginia and Ted Deutch of Florida, asks for $200 million to fund a program that “could remove as many as 1 million guns from our streets.”
“The murder of 20 youngsters and five educators in their classrooms has galvanized the public’s desire for immediate action, and partnering with the States on a nationwide gun buyback program is a modest, common sense start,” they wrote.
Most viewed
Editors' picks:
-
Flight of the RoboBee: Tiny hovering robot creates buzz
The successful controlled flight of the tiny RoboBee – designed by a team at Harvard – represents a key step in the development of insect-size drones with a range of potential uses.
- Where do things stand at Guantánamo? Six basic questions answered.
- USA Update California law boosts confiscation of illegal guns: Model for other states?
- Unhappy with your life? You might be French.
- Latin America Monitor Mexico's got theater in unusual spaces
Doing Good
What happens when ordinary people decide to pay it forward? Extraordinary change...
Paul Giniès is the general manager of the International Institute for Water and Environmental Engineering (2iE) in Burkina Faso, which trains more than 2,000 engineers from more than 30 countries each year.
Paul Giniès turned a failing African university into a world-class problem-solver
Today 2iE is recognized as a 'center of excellence' producing top-notch home-grown African engineers ready to address the continent's problems.








Become part of the Monitor community