Dog days of summer vacation
Discover the most dog-friendly destinations in the US and Canada.
(Page 2 of 2)
4. San Francisco is a great vacation site for a traveler with a dog. There are so many parks, off-leash areas, and beaches. Try Baker Beach, Ocean Beach, or Fort Funston. Visit Golden Gate Park, walk across the Golden Gate Bridge or shop in many dog-friendly stores throughout the city. Also, dogs are allowed on most public transportation, including the famous cable cars, Muni buses, and trains. Every August the San Francisco Giants host their annual Dog Days of Summer baseball game where your dog is welcome to attend with you.Skip to next paragraph
Subscribe Today to the Monitor
5. Austin, Texas – You and your dog can take a walking tour of downtown, ride a horse and carriage or visit the Zilker Botanical Garden. Austin has a large number of dog-friendly parks as well as 10 off-leash dog areas. You may also dine with your dog at many dog-friendly patio restaurants throughout the city.
6. Portland, Ore., boasts more than 20 off-leash dog parks, some of which are fenced; a city amusement park where leashed dogs are allowed; the Hoyt Arboretum; and the famous Rose Gardens. Also visit the Portland Saturday Market, an open-air market with artists, entertainment, and shops.
7. Northern Virginia – During the summer months, cruise the Potomac with your dog on the Potomac Riverboat Co. Canine Cruises. Visit the outdoor areas of historic Mount Vernon, the Iwo Jima Memorial, and the Theodore Roosevelt Memorial. Hike the Mount Vernon Trail from Washington, D.C., to Mount Vernon or visit more than 20 off-leash dog parks.
8. Orlando, Fla., long a popular people destination, has recently greatly improved its popularity with four-legged vacationers. You can take a boat ride on the St. Johns River with your dog, shop in the dog-friendly Winter Park area, and dine at Sam Snead's, the center of Florida doggy dining. It was here that former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush signed Florida's doggy dining law.
9. San Diego has two major off-leash beaches (one's in Coronado), plus many others that allow dogs on leash. You'll find many dog-friendly outdoor restaurants in San Diego, La Jolla, and throughout the region.
10. Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas – While in Dallas ride a carriage with your dog, take a walking tour, or visit Pioneer Plaza. In Fort Worth, visit Fort Woof, one of the country's nicest dog parks, and the Stockyard Stations to watch the daily cattle drives.