American moms today (by the numbers)
Interesting facts about mothers.
• 82.8 million: Estimated number of mothers in the United States in 2004.Skip to next paragraph
Subscribe Today to the Monitor
• 55 percent: Percentage of 15- to 44-year-olds who are mothers.
• 81 percent: Percentage of women 40 to 44 who are mothers. In 1976, 90 percent of women in that age group were mothers.
• 25.2: Average age of women in 2005 when they gave birth for the first time. This is up 3.8 years since 1970.
• 5.6 million: Number of stay-at-home moms in 2006.
Source: US Census Bureau