Jury: Promoter not to blame for Michael Jackson death
In Wednesday's verdict, jurors rejected claims that AEG Live, the country's second largest concert promoter, was negligent for hiring the physician who killed pop star Michael Jackson with a sleep aid overdose.
A jury cleared a concert promoter of negligence in a case that attempted to link the death of Michael Jackson to the company that promoted his ill-fated comeback shows.Skip to next paragraph
In Pictures Michael Jackson: King of Pop
Subscribe Today to the Monitor
The panel rejected a lawsuit brought by Jackson's mother claiming AEG Live was negligent in hiring the doctor who killed Jackson with an overdose of a hospital anesthetic that the singer used as a sleep aid.
With its verdict, the panel also delivered a somewhat surprising message: Jurors did not believe Dr. Conrad Murray was unfit or incompetent to perform his duties involving Jackson.
The ruling on that question ended any further consideration on damages and who was at fault for the death.
"I couldn't be more pleased with the way the jury came out. They got it exactly right," AEG Live lead defense attorney Marvin S. Putnam said after the verdict was read.
Katherine Jackson told reporters she was OK after the verdict.
A victory could have meant hundreds of millions of dollars in damages for Katherine Jackson and the singer's three children and provided a rebuke of AEG Live, the nation's second-largest concert promoter.
Murray was convicted in 2011 of involuntary manslaughter after giving Jackson the overdose as he prepared for a series of comeback shows.
The case provided the closest look yet at Jackson's drug use and his battles against chronic pain and insomnia. It also took jurors behind the scenes in the rough and tumble world of negotiations with one of the world's most famous entertainers looking to solidify his legendary status after scandal interrupted his career.
Witnesses said he saw the "This Is It" concerts as a chance for personal redemption after being acquitted of child molestation.
But as the opening date of the shows approached, associates testified that he had bouts of insecurity and agonized over his inability to sleep. They said he turned to the drug propofol and found Murray, who was willing to buy it in bulk and administer it to him on a nightly basis even though it is not meant to be used outside operating rooms.
Testimony at the civil trial showed that only Jackson and Murray knew he was taking the drug.
In his closing argument, AEG Live attorney Marvin Putnam told jurors that the company would have pulled the plug on the shows if they knew he was using the anesthetic.
"AEG would have never agreed to finance this tour if they knew Mr. Jackson was playing Russian roulette in his bedroom every night,"
Brian Panish, a lawyer for the Jackson family, countered that AEG Live was negligent by not looking far enough to find out what it needed to know about Murray. He claimed in his closing argument that the lure of riches turned the company and Murray into mercenaries who sacrificed the pop star's life in a quest to boost their own fortunes.
Panish asked jurors: "Do people do things they shouldn't do for money? People do it every day."
He said Murray's $150,000-a-month contract to care for Jackson was a lifeline to help him climb out of his financial troubles, which included $500,000 in debt. AEG Live, meanwhile, had only one interest — launching a world tour for the King of Pop that would yield untold millions in profits, the lawyer said.
AEG Live's lawyers framed the case as being about personal choice, saying Jackson made bad choices about the drug that killed him and the doctor who provided it. They said he was the architect of his own demise and no one else can be blamed.