Twinkies: 5 'welcome back' recipes
Celebrate the return of Twinkies with these creations.
2. Twinkie Minions
Black liquorice (string)
Twinkies (1/2 makes a Minion, so get one for every two cupcakes you plan on making)
Smarties, but only the white ones.
Chocolate Candy Melts, chocolate is preferred but any flavor will do
Black food marker (recommend: Americolor)
1. Bake up a recipe of your favorite cupcakes.
2. Frost your cupcakes with your favorite frosting.
3. Cut your Twinkies in half horizontally, making sure you have a half Twinkie for each cupcake.
4. Using your black food marker, outline enough Smarties for each Minion to have two eyes and draw a black dot in the center. Use melted candy melts to attach another Smartie to the back to make the goggles.
5. Lay the Twinkie halves down flat and stick the eyes in place with candy melts.
6. Cut black liquorice to fit the sides of the face for goggle straps and stick in place with more melted candy. Place in the refrigerator to set up.
7. Meanwhile, make the hair. Using a pair of sharp (and clean) scissors, cut the black liquorice to make little fring-ey pieces. You want to leave about a quarter inch of liquorice intact at the bottom, it’s the piece you will insert in the top of the Twinkie.
8. Cut small pieces of liquorice for the mouths.
9. Remove Twinkies from the refrigerator and put mouths in place. You can either use melted candy, or cut a mouth shaped groove with a small knife and place the liquorice in the groove.
10. Stand Twinkies up and insert hair.
11. Place your Minions on your cupcakes and you’re done.