By Cynthia Nelson / Tastes Like Home
These Portuguese-style fried doughnuts are meant to be served with homemade syrup (see recipe below).
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 4 minutes
Resting of batter: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 39 minutes
Yield: 24 - 30 pieces
2 cups all purpose flour
1 heaped tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 heaped teaspoon instant yeast
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
3 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla essence/extract
3/4 cup warm milk (110 - 115 degrees F)
Oil for deep frying
1. Add flour, sugar, salt, yeast, and cinnamon, if using, to a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
2. Add eggs and essence/extract to a small bowl and whisk gently (you just want to break up the eggs and get them mixed with the essence).
3. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 and 1/2 hours or until the mixture has more than doubled in quantity.
4. Add oil to a deep frying pan and heat on medium heat until oil is hot (350 degrees F).
5. Working with 2 tablespoons, scoop and drop the batter into the hot oil. Do not overcrowd the pan. Let fry for 1 minute until nicely browned all over. Remove using a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
6. Serve warm with a generous drizzle of homemade syrup.
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 22 minutes
Yield: 1-1/4 cups
2 cups Demerara Sugar (substitute with cane sugar or packed brown sugar)
1 (4-inch) cinnamon stick
1 cup water
1. Add sugar, cinnamon stick and water to a medium sized sauce pot. Turn the heat to medium high and stir to dissolve the sugar.
2. Bring the mixture to a boil then immediately reduce heat to low and let simmer gently for 15-17 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.