Skip to: Content
Skip to: Site Navigation
Skip to: Search


Culture Cafe

'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' sequel is still on track, says Sony

'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' has grossed less than expected, but a Sony representative says the sequel is still happening

By Sandy SchaeferScreen Rant / January 3, 2012

'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' star Rooney Mara (l.) is signed on for two more films, as is her co-star Daniel Craig.

Merrick Morton/HOEP/Sony, Columbia Pictures/AP

Enlarge

It feels kind of weird to say that director David Fincher’s adaptation of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo has performed somewhat below expectations at the box office to date.

Skip to next paragraph

Screen Rant had a humble start back in 2003 as a place to rant about some of the dumber stuff related to the movie industry. Since then, the site has grown to cover more and more TV and movie news (and not just the dumb stuff) along with sometimes controversial movie reviews. The goal at Screen Rant is to cover stories and review movies from a middle ground/average person perspective.

Recent posts

On the one hand, it’s a $90 million project from a high-profile filmmaker that is based on an international best-selling novel that has only grossed $60 million in the U.S. so far; on the other hand, it’s an extremely adults-only, R-Rated murder mystery full of graphic content and fatalistic atmosphere that’s been generating excellent word-of-mouth. So, those financial returns are about as good as one could (reasonably) expect.

Nonetheless, there’s been some question as to whether or not Sony is actively pressing ahead with an adaptation of the next installment in author Stieg Larsson’s Millennium trilogy, The Girl Who Played with Fire, because of Dragon Tattoo‘s so-so box office performance. According to EW, that is in fact the case.

A Sony representative informed the publication that Girl Who Played with Fire remains on-target for a late 2013 release date. Dragon Tattoo leads Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig are likewise reportedly already signed on to reprise their roles as Lisbeth Salander and Mikael Blomkvist, respectively, in both the sequel and the (for now, theoretical) third franchise chapter, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest.

Dragon Tattoo writer Steve Zaillian is in the early stage of scripting Girl Who Played with Fire, which Fincher has the option to direct. While he has not yet committed to the project, the Oscar-nominated filmmaker has admitted that (should he sign on) he would prefer to shoot both the second and third Millennium book adaptations back-to-back, for both practical and artistic purposes.

Fincher’s take on Dragon Tattoo has been playing very well with professional critics and casual moviegoers alike; similarly, it ranked pretty high on our favorite 2011 movies list. That sets it apart from relatively recent costly studio franchise titles that only did so-so business in theaters in comparison to their actual production budget, but were also critical duds (ex. G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, TRON: Legacy)… and yet, sequels to both are being developed, with G.I. Joe 2 having already completed production.

In addition, Dragon Tattoo should continue to play well during the slow-going month of January and will probably (*knock on wood*) manage to snag a handful of Oscar nods in the near future – which will also help keep it in the limelight.

That’s all to say: Dragon Tattoo may not be a box office smash, but it should ultimately prove to be profitable enough to ensure that Sony doesn’t abandon its franchise plans.

We will continue to keep you updated on the status of The Girl Who Played with Fire as the story develops.

Sandy Schaefer blogs at Screen Rant.

The Christian Science Monitor has assembled a diverse group of music, film, and television bloggers. Our guest bloggers are not employed or directed by The Monitor and the views expressed are the bloggers' own and they are responsible for the content of their blogs. To contact us about a blogger, click here.

Read Comments

View reader comments | Comment on this story

  • Weekly review of global news and ideas
  • Balanced, insightful and trustworthy
  • Subscribe in print or digital

Special Offer

 

Doing Good

 

What happens when ordinary people decide to pay it forward? Extraordinary change...

Danny Bent poses at the starting line of the Boston Marathon in Hopkinton, Mass.

After the Boston Marathon bombings, Danny Bent took on a cross-country challenge

The athlete-adventurer co-founded a relay run called One Run for Boston that started in Los Angeles and ended at the marathon finish line to raise funds for victims.

 
 
Become a fan! Follow us! Google+ YouTube See our feeds!