U2 review: Live at Soldier Field
U2 did what they do best at Soldier Field in Chicago on July 5, filled a stadium and put on a great show with striking visual elements and a stage design that was inclusive of its audience.
(Page 2 of 2)
Bono’s charisma was larger than life anyway, despite an obvious decision to tone down the frenetic stage bursts of energy he is often known for. There was a superhero turn swinging from a wire while wearing a coat adorned with lasers (he has been writing for Spider-Man, after all), but Bono largely stayed close to his band. His voice, light on the high notes but still robust, sounded especially in league with his yesteryear heroes like Frank Sinatra and Johnny Cash – two men who played it straight because their mighty vocal tones were too special to try anything but.Skip to next paragraph
Ridley Scott's 'Prometheus' trailer recalls 'Alien'-style sci fi horror (Video)
HBO cancels shows including 'Hung,' 'Bored to Death'
'The Hobbit' trailer provides a glimpse into a new Middle-Earth journey (VIDEO)
'The Dark Knight Rises' trailer draws controversy for villain Bane's portrayal
'The Dark Knight Rises' trailer is here, gritty
Subscribe Today to the Monitor
U2 is likely the last stadium band of its era that successfully balances musical integrity with big-ticket stadium authority. The few songs played from “No Line on the Horizon,” its lackluster recent album released two years ago, did not have the simple integrity of earlier hits, especially “Out of Control,” their first-ever single that, 31 years later, still reeled with urgency.
Even though he frequently tapped an arsenal of guitar tones and effects, The Edge still led through elemental melody lines that stood out, just like his harmony vocals that rooted the songs, preventing them from sounding too regal.
“One Tree Hill,” the last song played, was the result of an impromptu band meeting. The band hadn’t played the “Joshua Tree”-era song live in two decades and there was hesitation. “Here’s the deal: If we screw up badly, you don’t put it on the Internet,” Bono said. Turned out, uploading was not necessary.
- Even Better Than The Real Thing
- The Fly
- Mysterious Ways/Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World (snippet)
- Until The End Of The World
- Out Of Control, Get On Your Boots
- I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / The Promised Land (snippet)
- Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
- Beautiful Day / Space Oddity (snippet)
- Pride (In The Name Of Love)
- Miss Sarajevo
- City Of Blinding Lights / My Kind Of Town (snippet)
- Miss You (snippet) / I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight / Discothèque (snippet) / Life During
- Wartime (snippet)
- Sunday Bloody Sunday
- Walk On / The Battle Hymn Of The Republic (snippet)
- Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow (snippet) / Where The Streets Have No Name
- Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me / My Kind Of Town (snippet)
- With Or Without You, Moment of Surrender / One Tree Hill (snippet)
- One Tree Hill