Our completely anecdotal guide to the iPhone MMS update
Today, Apple released an MMS update for the iPhone 3G and the iPhone 3G S – a long-awaited functionality that brought photo messaging technology to the best-selling smart phones. But many folks predicted that AT&T wasn't going to be able to handle the strain that a picture-messaging service would put on the network.
And now we have proof. Well, sort of. It's not like we took a poll or anything. Mostly, we just have the comments from our readers – more than 220 in all. The comments come from all corners of the country, and although we wouldn't subject this post to academic peer-review, the data does provide a pretty interesting snapshot of what iPhone users are experiencing.
Bottom line: A good number of folks are having trouble sending MMS messages. What follows is a random sampling of unedited comments:
• MMS is working as of 10:26 in Seattle (PST)
• … not yet in Seattle as of 10:30 AM
• mms here in vermont yay!!
• MMS up and running in Ohio
• Updated my phone at 10:44 AM California but I still cant send MMS.
• 1:45 Eastern- no MMS Cleveland OH
• I have been able to only send 2 picture messages and 1 video after 20 tries, Looks to me as if they are having issues
• As of 1057 pacific standard time, MMS is available in California.
• Message Send Failure?? Whats wrong??
• I rebooted phone I can send them, but it sends as message send failure so it doesnt go through.. Hellllp..
I’m in Orange County, CA.
• i updated and i can send pictures fine but all my apps wont work i press on them then they close within a second
• Cincinnati 6:15PM. Received carrier update, rebooted phone, wifi is off, can see mms functions, but still unable to send.
• I got it here in DALLAS TEXAS. but it’s super sloww
• Update from Grand Rapids, MI (EST): Tried with my wifi off with no better results. Still Message Send Failure. I think CSM should change the title to “iPhone MMS update HAS crashed network, as shown by continual, widespread failures”