Skip to: Content
Skip to: Site Navigation
Skip to: Search

West Virginia gas pipeline explosion – just a drop in the disaster bucket

The West Virginia gas pipeline explosion follows several high profile natural gas accidents and a rapid increase nationally in pipeline mileage – even as federal oversight appears to lag.

(Page 2 of 2)

At the same time, a Congressional Research Service report found that staffing shortfalls have for many years averaged 24 employees a year. And a New York Times investigation last year concluded that PHMSA simply lacks funding to hire more inspectors. The Obama administration's budget requests additional funding to hire more inspectors.

Skip to next paragraph

What those inspections need to catch, Ms. Craven says, is a variety of problems ranging from improper welds, to faulty machinery, to improper operational procedures. In the past year, 41 percent of natural gas transmission pipeline failures were due to materials, welding, and faulty equipment, with corrosion causing 10 percent of the accidents, PHMSA data show.

A few facts in the Sissonville case are known, Sumwalt said. The explosion, for instance, burned more than an hour, from 12:41 p.m. Tuesday until 1:46 p.m. Why it took the company an hour and four minutes to shut down the 30-inch pipeline down is something likely to be examined by investigators. It was operating at 929 pounds per square inch of pressure, below its maximum of 1,000 p.s.i., he said.

In the infamous 2010 natural gas pipeline explosion and fire in San Bruno, Calif., that killed eight people and destroyed 38 homes, it took about 95 minutes for pipeline owner Pacific Gas & Electric Co. to shut off the gas line. Lack of automatic shut-off valves and of valves that can be remotely shut was partly to blame for the sluggish response, NTSB investigators concluded in their report.

Federal regulators have cited 20 significant incidents involving deaths, injuries, or major property damage in West Virginia in the last decade involving gas explosions, the Associated Press reported. Congress may also be peering into the matter.

"I'm in close contact with state and federal officials, as well as the company involved," Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D) of W.Va., chairman of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation, said in a statement. "It's important that the National Transportation Safety Board is launching a team imminently to conduct a thorough investigation into how and why this happened."

For its part, Columbia Gas Transmission transports an average of 3 billion cubic feet of natural gas per day through a nearly 12,000-mile pipeline network and 92 compressor stations in 10 states, serving hundreds of communities, according to the company's website. Customers include local gas distribution companies, energy marketers, electric power generating facilities, as well as industry.

Federal data show that only a little more than one-third of Columbia Gas is federally inspected with the rest subject to state inspection. In the past year, there were 34 accidents on the company's lines resulting in five injuries and $12.3 million in damage, PHSMA data shows. At this point, however, it's impossible to know just what caused the Sissonville accident. Company officials expressed gratitude that so far there have been no reported injuries. Workers restored the highway to passable condition overnight.

Sancha Adkins, from St. Albans, W.Va., told the Associated Press that she was headed north on I-77 when a flash alongside the highway caught her eye. She slammed on the brakes and pulled to the shoulder, as did the tractor-trailer behind her, just in time to see a wall of flame roar across the road about 150 feet ahead of her.

She tried to back up, but the truck behind her wasn't doing the same fast enough.

"I did a U-turn in the middle of the road and literally drove the wrong way on the interstate. I had my hazard lights on flashing, just trying to tell people to get out of the way," she said. There was oncoming traffic as she hugged the berm on the median.

"I didn't care," she told AP. "It wasn't as bad as that explosion."


  • Weekly review of global news and ideas
  • Balanced, insightful and trustworthy
  • Subscribe in print or digital

Special Offer


Doing Good


What happens when ordinary people decide to pay it forward? Extraordinary change...

Danny Bent poses at the starting line of the Boston Marathon in Hopkinton, Mass.

After the Boston Marathon bombings, Danny Bent took on a cross-country challenge

The athlete-adventurer co-founded a relay run called One Run for Boston that started in Los Angeles and ended at the marathon finish line to raise funds for victims.

Become a fan! Follow us! Google+ YouTube See our feeds!