Skip to: Content
Skip to: Site Navigation
Skip to: Search


20,000 students sue Calif. educators for not teaching English

20,000 students sue the state of California and its eductators for failing to give adequate language instruction to non-native English speakers. According the the ACLU, the state education system's lack of English instruction could be holding the 20,000 students back in school. 

By Shaya Tayefe MohajerAssociated Press / April 25, 2013

Mark Rosenbaum, chief counsel for the ACLU of Southern California, left, with attorney Jessica Price, center, and Walt Dunlop a teacher at Oxnard Union High School District talk during a news conference in Los Angeles, Wednesday, April 24, 2013. About 20,000 students will sue California because the state isn't giving them adequate language instruction, according to the lawsuit filed against the state and education workers on Wednesday by the American Civil Liberties Union.

Nick Ut/AP/File

Enlarge

About 20,000 students in California who need to learn English aren't getting adequate language instruction, according to a lawsuit against the state and education workers filed Wednesday by the American Civil Liberties Union.

Skip to next paragraph

Under state and federal law, schools are required to teach non-English speakers the language, but by its own records, the state isn't offering English instruction to nearly 20,000 students. The suit alleges that lack of instruction has meant some children had to be held back a grade or live with low proficiency scores because of a language barrier.

The ACLU brought the issue to the attention of the state with a letter in January, and officials say they're working to ensure compliance at the local level.

Attorney Mark Rosenbaum said in Wednesday's filing that English learners fall behind without proper language lessons, even as school districts collect federal funds for providing such education.

"These kids are not getting the differentiated learning they're supposed to be getting," Rosenbaum said.

Chief Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction Richard Zeiger said in a statement that the state is determined to provide Englishlearners appropriate instruction and encouraged parents to bring problems to the state's attention.

"The Department will continue to work with local agencies to ensure compliance with districts' obligations to provide services to Englishlearners," Zeiger said.

Zeiger also noted that a recent appellate court decision found that the department was meeting its legal obligations related to on-site monitoring of English learners.

The ACLU's lawsuit describes the educational struggles of three families with Spanish-speaking children attending Compton Unified School District and a San Diego 18-year-old in the Grossmont Union High School District.

In each case, schools identified the students as English learners but were later taken out of English language classes and saw their grades drop dramatically in courses where they struggled to understand instruction, the suit alleged.

One mother had both of her children, an 8-year-old and a 10-year-old, held back a year immediately after they stopped being provided language instruction, the suit alleged.

Rosenbaum said parents often didn't know their children had been taken out of language classes, and in one case, a mother was told to bring her own translator to school meetings to get an explanation.

In response to the January letter, school officials acknowledged the problem while adding more than 98 percent of the state's 1.4 millionEnglish learners are receiving services.

The suit seeks a court order for schools to provide courses to English learners who need them, attorney's fees for filing the suit and unspecified further equitable relief the court finds appropriate.

 

  • Weekly review of global news and ideas
  • Balanced, insightful and trustworthy
  • Subscribe in print or digital

Special Offer

 

Doing Good

 

What happens when ordinary people decide to pay it forward? Extraordinary change...

Danny Bent poses at the starting line of the Boston Marathon in Hopkinton, Mass.

After the Boston Marathon bombings, Danny Bent took on a cross-country challenge

The athlete-adventurer co-founded a relay run called One Run for Boston that started in Los Angeles and ended at the marathon finish line to raise funds for victims.

 
 
Become a fan! Follow us! Google+ YouTube See our feeds!