Reader recommendation: Sea of Poppies
Monitor readers share their favorite book picks.
Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh had been recommended repeatedly by critics and friends, so I finally began reading it during the long weekend and snowstorm. This novel is a fascinating portrait of the terrible impact on Indian society of Britain's 19th-century naval engagement in the opium trade. At once personal and broadly historic, it is very dense in content but flowing in narrative.Skip to next paragraph
Subscribe Today to the Monitor
- How a manicurist helped solve a sea-turtle mystery
- 'Ukraine is game to you?' It shouldn't be.
- Facebook drones? Report says yes. (+video)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson to host new 'Cosmos,' 34 ye...
- Ukraine crisis: Could US energy save Ukraine?
- Huge, amoeba-infecting virus unleashed from Sib...
- Which country reads most? (Hint: It's not the US)
- PMAD promo
- 10 best books of March: the Monitor's picks
- Are we close to cheaper cleaner methanol?
- Ukraine crisis: Would Putin shut off gas again?
- Global warming disrupts ocean dynamics in Antar...