Mark Guarino is a staff writer with The Christian Science Monitor covering the central part of the country, the Midwest in particular. He is based in Chicago.
Past topics covered for the Monitor include: the Gulf of Mexico oil spill, the Katrina 5-year anniversary, the Rod Blagojevich trial, the future of Detroit, the Mississippi River flooding in the Mississippi Delta and Louisiana, the Penn State sex abuse scandal, the Rahm Emanuel campaign and administration, union fights in the Midwest, gay marriage, terrorism, aviation, militias, more. He is also a frequent contributor to the Monitor's culture coverage.
In the past, his byline has run in the Chicago Tribune, Reuters, New York Magazine, the Chicago Sun-Times, Mojo, the New York Times, People and many other media outlets.
- Daylight Saving Time is upon us: Which way to move the clocks? (+video)
- US, siding with Muslim officer, sues school district over beard policy
- Chicago's credit rating downgraded: how its woes differ from Detroit's
- Court rejects BP claim that Gulf oil spill settlement is unfair (+video)
- Chicago deep freeze: cold, colder, coldest (+video)
- View all