Follow Justin McCurry
Justin McCurry is the Monitor’s correspondent in Tokyo. He also writes for the Guardian and Observer newspapers in London, and contributes to the Lancet medical journal and several other publications in Japan, the US, and the UK. While his background is in print journalism, he makes regular appearances on BBC radio and France 24 TV.
Justin graduated with a BSc Econ (Hons) from the London School of Economics and gained an MA in Japanese Studies from the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), London University. He was a copy editor and reporter at the Daily Yomiuri in Osaka before moving to Tokyo to become a full-time foreign correspondent.
When he’s not filing to editors in several time zones, Justin enjoys exploring the bars and restaurants of Tokyo with friends, and attempts to offset occasional overindulgence with gentle jogs near Tokyo Tower. He is an avid cricket and soccer fan, and a keen, if inconsistent, amateur photographer.
- In Tokyo, Biden sends strong signal to China (+video)
- US debt ceiling: How risky for China and Japan?
- Briefing Fukushima 101: 5 questions answered about Japan's crippled nuclear reactors
- Japan, US fortify military ties with drones. Will China take note? (+video)
- Keeping up with China? Japan to expand diplomatic presence worldwide
- View all