Follow Fred Weir
E-mail: Fred Weir
Sites I like
Fred Weir has been the Monitor's Moscow correspondent, covering Russia and the former Soviet Union, since 1998. He's traveled over much of that vast territory, reporting on stories ranging from Russia's financial crash to the war in Chechnya, creeping Islamization in central Asia, Russia's demographic crisis, the rise of Vladimir Putin and his repeated returns to the Kremlin, and the ups and downs of US-Russia relations.
Fred holds an honors B.A. in European history from the University of Toronto and a teaching degree from the Ontario College of Education. He was once also a journeyman Ironworker in Toronto's Local 721. He moved to the Soviet Union in 1986 and has lived there permanently ever since. He previously wrote for outlets such as Canadian Press, the Hindustan Times, The Independent, and the South China Morning Post. He is married with two children and lives in a small village near Moscow. Fred is the co-author of Revolution from Above: Russia's Path from Gorbachev to Putin, Routledge, 2007.
- Global News Blog Move over, Lenin: Louis Vuitton 'trunk' occupies Red Square (+video)
- Pro-Europe Ukrainians march as Kiev balances Moscow and Brussels (+video)
- For Russia, a sense of vindication in Iran nuclear deal
- Why Soviets were no fans of Lee Harvey Oswald (+video)
- Did Ukraine just pick Russia over the EU? (+video)
- View all