Dan has been a reporter since the early '90s, working for Bloomberg News and the Far Eastern Economic Review before going to work for the Monitor in 1999. He has reported extensively from Southeast Asia and the Middle East and among other things has covered the fall of Indonesia's Soeharto, East Timor's independence, the Iraq war between 2003-2008, and the 2011 uprisings in Egypt and Libya. In 2004, the Overseas Press Club awarded him a citation for his "How Al Qaeda lit the Bali Fuse" series for the Monitor.
- Backchannels Former NATO commander says US is getting Ukraine about right
- Backchannels In Ukraine, being an oligarch is a bipartisan sport
- Backchannels Russia's plans for Crimea were long in the making (+video)
- Backchannels Listening to Edward Snowden at SXSW (+video)
- Backchannels The recidivism rate of former Guantánamo prisoners is really low – and falling (+video)
- View all