* Size: Eight square miles.
* Location: 760 miles south-southeast of Tokyo, 4,800 miles west of Honolulu.
* Strategic importance: Seizing Iwo Jima would cut flying time in half for US bombers attacking targets in Japan.
* The battle: Bombardment by US ships and aircraft began Feb. 16, 1945. US Marines landed Feb. 19. Japanese resistance ended March 26.
* Forces and casualties: Iwo was defended by 750 large guns, concrete pill boxes, and 21,000 men. The US used 80,000 troops and 800 ships. The Japanese lost 20,000 killed, 1,083 captured. US losses were 6,800 killed and 18,000 wounded.