* Legislation would allow about 100,000 young people to earn $5,000 per year for one or two years toward college tuition by performing community service.
* Participants must be at least 17 years old, and may perform service before, during, or after their college years.
* They will also receive a minimum-wage stipend for their living expenses (about $8,500 per year) and, for those needing it, health care and child care.
* Most programs will be organized locally and will select participants based on their own criteria.
* Programs will focus on education, human services, public safety, or the environment.