* Born: Miami, Dec. 16, 1955.
* Education: BA, University of Florida at Gainesville, 1977; JD, University of Florida College of Law, 1979.
* Military Service: None
* Career: General counsel, Florida House of Representatives, Committee on Governmental Operations, 1980-81; deputy campaign manager, Tampa, Fla., US House race, 1981-82; associate director, Citizen Action, 1983-86; senior legislative aide, US Sen. Lawton Chiles (D) of Florida, 1986-89; counsel, US Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources, 1989; legislative director, US Sen. Al Gore Jr. (D) of Tennessee, 1989-91; secretary, Florida Department of Environmental Regulation, 1991 to present.
* Personal: Married to Michael Podhorzer; one son.
* Assessment: Browner is known as an ardent environmentalist and a favorite of the "green" lobby. Her appointment seems to indicate that her former boss, Vice President Gore, will have a large say in federal environmental policy.