* Born: Cleveland, Feb. 14, 1941.
* Education: BA, Western College, 1962; MSSC, Syracuse University, 1968; PhD, Syracuse, 1970.
* Military Service: None. Served in Peace Corps, Iran, 1963-64.
* Career: Assistant to program director, Syracuse University, 1965-69; assistant to dean, Syracuse, 1969-70; asst. professor, City University of New York (CUNY), 1970-72; assoc. professor, Teachers College of Columbia University, 1972-79; asst. secretary, US Department of Housing and Urban Development, 1977-80; professor, CUNY, 1980-88; chancellor, University of Wisconsin, 1988 to present; board of directors, Children's Defense Fund, 1980 to present.
* Personal: Unmarried, no children.
* Assessment: Known as an academic politician and champion of "political correctness," Shalala was expected to be named as secretary of education - but Clinton instead appointed her to oversee a field where she has little formal experience.