* Born: Washington, D.C., Aug. 1, 1941.
* Education: BA, Middlebury College, 1962; JD, St. John's University, 1970.
* Military Service: Captain, US Army, 1963-67.
* Career: General counsel, National Urban League, 1971-73; chief spokesman, Urban League, 1973-79; vice president, Washington operations, Urban League, 1976-79; chief counsel, US Senate Judiciary Committee, 1980; staff director, US Sen. Edward Kennedy (D) of Massachusetts, 1981; partner, Patton, Boggs & Blow, 1981 to present; chairman, Democratic National Committee, 1989 to present.
* Personal: Married to Alma Arrington; two children.
* Assessment: Brown is a shrewd and skilled Washington operator whose appointment was probably a reward for his services in electing a Democratic president for the first time in 12 years.