CLINTON'S CABINET PICKS
TRANSITION IN WASHINGTON
Director of the Office of Management and Budget LEON PANETTA
* Born: Monterey, Calif., June 28, 1938.
* Education: JD, University of Santa Clara, Calif., 1963.
* Military service: Captain, US Army, 1964-66; Army Commendation Medal.
* Career: Legislative assistant to US Sen. Thomas Kuchel (R) of California, 1966-69; director, Office of Civil Rights, US Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, 1969-70; won several awards from, among others, the National Education Association and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, 1969-84; executive assistant to New York City Mayor John Lindsay, 1970-71; lawyer, 1971-76; US representative, 1976-present; chairman, House Budget Committee, 1989-present; deputy House maj ority whip.
* Personal: Married to Sylvia Marie Varni; three children.
* Assessment: During his 13 years of Budget Committee service, Panetta became a leader of fiscally cautious Democrats.