CLINTON'S CABINET PICKS
TRANSITION IN WASHINGTON
Secretary of the Treasury LLOYD BENTSENSkip to next paragraph
Subscribe Today to the Monitor
* Born: Mission, Texas, Feb. 11, 1921.
* Education: JD, University of Texas, 1942.
* Military service: Major, US Army Air Corps, 1942-45; colonel, Air Force Reserve, 1950-59. Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal with three Oak Leaf Clusters.
* Career: Lawyer, 1945-48; judge, Hidalgo County, Texas, 1946-48; US representative, 1948-55; president, Lincoln Consolidated, Houston, 1955-71; US senator, 1971-present; chairman, Senate Finance Committee, 1987-present; Democratic nominee for vice president, 1988.
* Personal: Married to Beryl Ann Longino; three children.
* Assessment: Bentsen brings to the administration an insider's knowledge of Capitol Hill and close ties to business.