* The initiative is designed to spur demand for recycled materials. If voters pass the measure, Massachusetts retailers with 10 or more employees would have until July 1, 1996, to make sure the products they sell comply in one of the following ways:
* Packaging is reduced in size by at least 25 percent every five years.
* Packaging is designed to be reusable at least five times, with at least 50 percent of the packaging actually being reused.
* Packaging is recycled at a 50-percent rate or better.
* Packaging is composed of materials that are being recycled at a 25-percent rate in Massachusetts (rising to 50 percent by 2002).
* Packaging itself is composed 25 percent or more of recycled materials (rising to 50 percent by 2002).