[ No headline ]

I've been shopping for a railroad. . . .

That's a stanza US railroad unions have been singing as they ponder the purchase of Conrail. The US government must sell the line by June 1, 1983. The government owns 85 percent of the system; the Conrail Employee Stock Ownership Plan owns the other 15 percent. Nineteen unions represent Conrail's 60,000 employees. They'd like to see the line go to a strong buyer willing to continue the system's freight and commuter sevice without diverting resources to non-rail uses. The unions even have agreed to help streamline operations and cut costs to attract a buyer.

But unions will also draft plans for employee ownership if that is necessary to save the system and its jobs.

About these ads
Sponsored Content by LockerDome

We want to hear, did we miss an angle we should have covered? Should we come back to this topic? Or just give us a rating for this story. We want to hear from you.

Loading...

Loading...

Loading...

Save for later

Save
Cancel

Saved ( of items)

This item has been saved to read later from any device.
Access saved items through your user name at the top of the page.

View Saved Items

OK

Failed to save

You reached the limit of 20 saved items.
Please visit following link to manage you saved items.

View Saved Items

OK

Failed to save

You have already saved this item.

View Saved Items

OK