Fifty recommended books for infants, toddlers, and Grades 1-3
Choosing largely from enduring favorites rather than newly published titles, the Monitor has selected 50 high-quality books to recommend for children ranging from infancy to Grade 3. Within each grouping the list begins with books for younger children and progresses to those for older. The list may not suit the gifted reader who, though young, might be ready for more challenging reading, but others should find it useful. Picture booksSkip to next paragraph
Subscribe Today to the Monitor
* Old Mother Hubbard and Her Dog, by Paul Galdone. New York: McGraw-Hill. Pages not numbered. $7.95.
* Where the Wild Things Are, by Maurice Sendak. New York: Harper & Row. Pages not numbered. $8.95.
* A Child's Goodnight Book, by Margaret Wise Brown. Illustrated by Jean Charlot. Reading, Mass.: Addison-Wesley. Pages not numbered. $7.95.
* Richard Scarry's Great Big Schoolhouse. New York: Random House. 69 pp. $4. 95.
* Horton Hatches the Egg, by Dr. Seuss. New York: Random House. 64 pp. $5.99.
* Burt Dow: Deep-water Man, by Robert McCloskey. New York: The Viking Press. 63 pp. $8.95.
* Why Noah Chose the Dove, by Isaac Bashevis Singer, illustrated by Elizabeth Shub. New York: Farrar, Straus & Giroux. 32 pp. $8.95. Poetry
* Boom-de-Boom, by Elaine Edelman. New York: Pantheon. 36 pp. $4.95.
* Father Fox's Penny-rhymes, by Clyde Watson. Illustrated by Penny Watson. New York: Harper & Row. Pages not numbered. $8.95.
* The Mother Goose Treasury, by Raymond Briggs. New York: Dell. 224 pp. $7.95 (paperback).
* Marguerite de Angeli's Book of Nursery and Mother Goose Rhymes. New York: Doubleday & Co. 192 pp. $10.95.
* Drums and Trumpets: Poetry for the Youngest, selected by Leonard Clark. Illustrated by Heather Copley. Toronto: Chatto-Bodley-Jonathan. (Distributed by Merrimack Book Service, 99 Main Street, Salem, N.H. 03079.) 96 pp. $7.95.
* A Child's Garden of Verses, by Robert Lewis Stevenson. Illustrated by Tasha Tudor. New York: Random House. 72 pp. $7.95.
* A Visit to William Blake's Inn, by Nancy Willard. New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich. 48 pp. $10.95. Counting
* The Berenstain Bear's Counting Book, by Stanley and Janice Berenstain. New York: Random House. 14 pp. $2.95.
* Anno's Counting Book, by Mitsumasa Anno. New York: Thomas Y. Crowell Company. Pages not numbered. $8.95.
* A First Number Book, by Shari Robinson. Pictures by Sal Murdocca. New York: Platt & Munk Division of Grosset & Dunlap. 94 pp. $3.95 (paperback).
Richard Scarry's Best Counting Book Ever. New York: Random House. 48 pp. $4. 95. Alphabet
* Anno's Alphabet: An Adventure in Imagination, by Mitsumasa Anno. New York: Thomas Y. Crowell Company. 64 pp. $10.95.
* Wild Animals from Alligator to Zebra, by Arthur Singer. New York: Random House. Pages not numbered. $1.25 (paperback).
* Dr. Seuss's ABC, by Dr. Seuss. New York: Random House. 72 pp. $3.95.
* As I Was Crossing Boston Common, by Norma Farber. Berkeley, Calif.: Creative Arts Book Company (833 Bancroft Way, Berkeley, Calif. 94710). Pages not numbered. $3.95, paperback. Science
* Science Toys and Tricks, by Laurence B. White Jr., drawings by Mark Tolon Brown. Reading, Mass.: Addison-Wesley. 96 pp. $4.95, paperback. Crafts
* Ed Emberley's Great Thumbprint Drawing Book. Boston: Little, Brown & Co. 37 pp. $5.95.
* Syd Hoff's How To Draw Dinosaurs, by Syd Hoff. New York: Windmill Books/Simon & Schuster. 64 pp. $3.95.