Top brass get lie tests in Pentagon news leak
Washington — Members of the Pentagon's top brass are undergoing lie detector tests to determine who leaked the contents of a classified document last week, a Defense Department spokesman said Wednesday.
Deputy Defense Secretary Frank Carlucci ordered the investigation because the Washington Post reported the substance of a classified document presented last week to the Pentagon's Defense Resources Board.
The document said the Joint Chiefs of Staff had estimated that President Reagan's massive defense buildup would cost $750 billion more than the $1.5 trillion already projected for the next five years. The lie detector tests follow a major administration-wide crackdown on leaks of national security information. A presidential directive places curbs on contacts with the news media and on the number of people with access to classified documents and internal deliberations.