Egypt purging forces, presses Sadat case

Egypt announced a purge of its armed forces Monday and a newspaper said a Muslim group accused of plotting President Sadat's murder received foreign money.

Defense Minister Abdel Halim Abu-Ghazala disclosed that 30 officers and 104 men had been dismissed for ''extremist religious affiliations.''

The semiofficial newspaper Al-Ahram said the Muslim group included the rightist Takfir Wal Hejira which has been linked with the assassination. It did not identify the country it alleged had financed the organization. Police have rounded up more than 230 of its members and seized stockpiled weapons, the report added.

About these ads
Sponsored Content by LockerDome

We want to hear, did we miss an angle we should have covered? Should we come back to this topic? Or just give us a rating for this story. We want to hear from you.

Loading...

Loading...

Loading...

Save for later

Save
Cancel

Saved ( of items)

This item has been saved to read later from any device.
Access saved items through your user name at the top of the page.

View Saved Items

OK

Failed to save

You reached the limit of 20 saved items.
Please visit following link to manage you saved items.

View Saved Items

OK

Failed to save

You have already saved this item.

View Saved Items

OK