Boston — A bronze plaque honoring The Christian Science Monitor and its founder, Mary Baker Eddy, has been presented to the paper by the Society of Professional Journalists, Sigma Delta Chi.
The plaque designates the Christian Science Publishing Society -- home of the Monitor -- as "an historic landmark in journalism." Similar plaques mark such noted places in journalistic history as the sites of Benjamin Franklin's printing shop and Horace Greeley's office.
At a brief, Sept. 18 ceremony, in the lobby of the Christian Science Publishing Society, attended by members of Sigma Delta Chi and the Monitor staff , the plaque was affixed to a marble column.
Praising the Monitor for its pioneering and important contribution in interpretative journalism, the plaque also honors Erwin D. Canham, the paper's now retired longtime editor in chief, as well as its founder, Mrs. Eddy.
In accepting the honor Earl W. Foell, editor of the Monitor, pledged continuing dedication to the high standards of journalism which the professional society seeks to foster.
The 35,000-member Sigma Delta Chi, established in 1909, is the largests organization in the field of journalism with 136 professional chapters and 171 campus chapters across the United States.