Generations of pride built on a brick foundation
Beacon Hill, a longtime cultural and literary mecca, is an area of singularly fine architecture where new buildings are few and far between, and where the sidewalks are made from bricks, old ones.Skip to next paragraph
Subscribe Today to the Monitor
Should you plan to tour Beacon Hill here are the boundaries: Beacon to Arlington Street, and Hancock to the gold domed State House. The other side of the hill goes from Myrtle to Cambridge Streets, and is called "the Back Side." It is also referred to as "The Bohemian Side" of the hill and is in process of being renovated. Slicing through Beacon Hill is Charles Street, the main shopping area.
Building began on Beacon Hill in 1735. By 1815, the Greek Revival, Federal, and post-Federal brick houses were standing, with more to come. Key man in this plan was Charles Bulfinch, who designed the old portion of the State House. He was ifluenced by London's Regency period. A genius, he was a poor businessman, and at one point was put in the local debtor's prison, even though he was a member of Boston's City Council.
Magnificent large brick mansions took shape on Mount Vernon Street and on Pinckney Street. By 1830, Louisburg Square, which reminds one of the small squares in London's West End, was completed. Charles Street at that time was a residential strip, and its flat side, the area going to the Charles River, was given over to stables for the wealthy.
The wars we have fought affected Beacon Hill. The embargo on the eve of the War of 1812 hurt the traders. Then prosperity until the end of 1865 and a recession that produced an economy that disturbed Beacon Hill residents. By the end of World War I some of the hill families had started to move away from the area. In the 1929-33 depression era you could buy what is now a $250,000 mansion for a little as $4,000 to $5,000. After World War II more families quit the hill for estates on the Gold Coast, the North Shore of Greater Boston, stretching from Manchester to Gloucester.
But by 1955, the hill, like a phoenix, again cast off its lethargy. The Beacon hill Architectural Commission created the Historic Beacon Hill District, with John Codman as its chairman. This body still oversees the architectural preservation of the hill as a tangible reminder of the old days. It is backed up by the Beacon Hill Civic Association.
And here is the crux of the attitude on the hill. Mr. Codman, from a distinguished Boston family, said, "The newcomers who have moved to the hill (referring mainly to the people who have bought homes there) are more concerned and more conservative than the original owners." These newcomers, some of them in residence since the end of World War II, are a varied group, many of them professionals, and they come from as far away as Texas and the West Coast. They are proud of Beacon Hill. The exteriors and interiors of their homes point up this fact.
Here is an explanatory footnote to use in your foot tour. Unfortunately, most houses are not open to the public.
Mount Vernon Street: No. 59 was the home of Thomas Bailey Aldrich, author and editor of the Atlantic Monthly. Two doors up, No. 55, is Nichols House Museum. It is open at 1 o'clock on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays. Admission, $1. Next door, No. 57, is the Charles Francis Adams House, lived in by Civil War ambassador to England, son of President John Quincy Adams, and father of Henry Adams, who wrote "The Education of Henry Adams," also "Chartres and Mont St. Michael." The Sears House at No. 85 is a Bulfinch design, its upper stories enlivened by four Corinthian Pilasters. No. 90 is still lived in by the Lee Family.